Total Pageviews

Monday, December 6, 2010

December 6, 2010 Before Pearl Harbor Day

Tomorrow will be December 7, 2010, sixty-nine years from the date that the Empire of Japan attacked the United States in Hawaii.  Although other bases were hit and nearly destroyed, we remember the naval base at Pearl Harbor and it is most often spoken of as Pearl Harbor Day.  Probably we remember it so because the navy lost more personnel that day than the other branches of the service and also more that single day than during the rest of the war.  It was a terrible day.  It was a great tragedy.  It would be a tragedy to not remember Pearl Harbor.  It is a day that I hope will always be solemnly and thoughtfully remembered, with lasting respect for the sailors, soldiers, marines, airmen, doctors, nurses and civilians who lost their lives that day.   I noted that the assassination of President Kennedy was barely observed this year and I had to check my calendar to confirm the date.  I fear that if it isn’t news today and filled with the antics or troubles of young stars, the news media will give it little due and that disturbs me.  The great events through which our nation has passed and which marked her and us and helped to form our character should not be trivialized and over looked.  I hope we will not let Pearl Harbor pass without notice.  I hope the news media will pay homage and remind us of the terrible sacrifices made that day; but if they do, let us take a moment to remember and if we have the courage, let us say to someone we meet, “Remember Pearl Harbor.”  I do not write with hatred but only with the hope that a deep remembrance will remind us of just how horrible war is and move us closer to making it truly a thing of the past.  War only destroys and wastes.  Remember Pearl Harbor, not only tomorrow, but forever, and let us find a way to end war forever.  I offer that as my prayer, Lord, please let us end war for always.

Stephen Joe Payne
United States Navy 1961-1965
USS Point Defiance (LSD-31), December 28. 1961- January 22, 1965
Radarman 3rd Class Petty Officer (E-4)

No comments:

Post a Comment